I love the look of free motion quilting. I had yet to try it yet just for fear of spending hours with my seam ripper and the TV. I eventually want to use free motion for my next quilt, so I grabbed some scraps and put together a quick potholder.
I put together one disappearing 9 patch square using 3" squares. Finished pot holder size is about 8.5".
I added a double layer of batting...
Crossed my fingers... and started!
My stitch lengths weren't so hot:
and the back was embarrassing (wtf was I doing):
So... I spent some time with the seam ripper... adjusted the tension... tried again. (repeat more seam ripping and tension adjusting) It started to look a bit better. I still have to work on getting nice rounded corners and losing those 90 degree angles....
My stitch lengths improved a little, but I can still see many flaws:
I prefer not to look closely at the back:
but if you zoom in really close it looks cute!
Tada! Not to shabby for a first try of something that I'm just going to get dirty in the kitchen anyways :)