My friend is due at the end of this month to have a baby, and I was attempting to beat that due date and get this to her early. She got the package today in the mail so I'm good to post the photos I've been hiding now!
This is a modified Colorbrick Quilt. As I flipped through the in-process photos on Flickr for that quilt-a-long, I loved the way it looked pieced with just the vertical sashing between the blocks. I added a few rows for length too. It is supposed to be a baby quilt... but I wanted it big enough so it didn't have to be. Since it measures approx 60x50 there is really nothing 'baby quilt' about this.
I had fabric photo exchanges with her so she could pick out the fabrics she liked. This Del Hi line from Valori Wells has a lot of large prints, so I needed a quilt design that wouldn't take away from them. These blocks are cut at 10" x5.5" and worked out perfect.
The back is the remaining blocks and a place where I actually got to show off the butterflies without them being chopped in half. I just randomly pieced as needed and as fabric supply allowed.
The quilting I debated forever until I saw freshly pieced's quilt and finally decided on wavy lines. This is the wavy stitch on my machine at max width/length.
Here's a couple in process photos while I was rearranging the blocks. (btw - That is the The Practical Guide to Patchwork on my coffee table)
I love the way the sashing instantly brightens it up.