Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Pillow Swap Reveal

The LVMQG hosted a Not-So-Secret Secret Santa Pillow Swap (as I like to call it) where we each picked out a fat quarter for our inspiration. My swap partner chose Joel Dewberry's Heirloom Tile Flourish in Amber.

In my previous post I showed you the fabrics I pulled to match.  I stared at that stack of fabric forever and had no idea what to do with it. Personally, I love the Heirloom collection and wanted the actual design on the fabric to be the focus.  I didn't want to chop up the 'Tile Flourish' too small or you'll lose those large super-awesome designs.  I added the solids because I add solids to everything.  The two orange Kona colors I pieced amazingly matched both of the oranges in the fat quarter very closely!


I did a 1" straight line vertical quilting to keep with the stripe pattern and I attempted to add some waves to the solids.  For the back I had a piece of Amy Butler Twill in Mint which just happened to match.

Sorry, this is a boring pic, but I always want to see backs of pillows no matter what:

I added an invisible zipper to the bottom of the pillow.  I just bought the invisible zipper foot and this was its inaugural run.  It was super simple.  (Always visit Sew Kate Did for the best invisible zipper tutorial!)



Now for the pillow I received!

The fat quarter fabric I chose for my pillow inspiration was Kumari Garden Tarika in Gem:


My swap partner Mary used Texture Magic and sewed around each flower.  So it puffed up like this:

Which turned into this!


It's really cute!  I love how the puffiness worked so well with the fabric design.

She added a zipper to the back:


 and some design stitches around it to finish it off:


(Thank you Mary for my pillow!)

1 comment:

  1. Love the pillow you made and the one you received. Here are those nice photos again. So clear and crisp.Great job.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...