Sunday, November 4, 2012

New York Beauty Mini Quilt

I saw a friend post a Mini New York Beauty and absolutely loved it.  I've never paper pieced before so I wanted to give it a shot.  What ended up was this mini wall hanging (aka Cubicle Quilt):

Fabric: Silent Cinema - Front Row in Yellow,  Meadowsweet 2 - Henna Garden in Raspberry,
Kona White, Kona Cerise and Petal (triangles), Kona Berry (binding)

 I had a lot of firsts on this mini quilt!  The paper-piecing was fun, but I disliked picking the paper off the back. I used a shorter stitch length with regular printer paper and then tweezered that stuff out of the tiny points.

I also used my Bernina stitch regulator (BSR) and made up the quilting as I went.  I was worried that it was not going to be consistent.. but as a whole I love it.

 (It was super hard to get that berry color to show up accurately in my photos.. this is the closest to the correct color)

This was my second shot at hand stitching on the binding.  As suggested before, I used a smaller needle.  It took me a while, but I'm getting a little better.  I'm still struggling with how to tie off (hide) the end of the thread.  Especially the very last binding stitch...  (any tutorial suggestions?)


Here's a crappy picture of all of the quilting on the back.  Nobody is going to look at the back so it doesn't bug me that my thread knots are showing.


Happy Sewing :)

2 comments:

  1. This is super pretty! I'm surprised you needed tweezers tho - the 3 times I've paperpieced it tore off pretty easily using normal copy paper - I even used thicker paper for the first one and that was fine too. Your quilting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I'm glad you got it finished and blogged...what's next?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...